I am Mrs. Hundley, one of the English teachers at FCMS. I am a graduate of Franklin County Public Schools (right next door). After high school, I studied at Ferrum College and got my master's degree at The College of William and Mary. This is my fourth year in education! I am excited to begin this new school year, and I look forward to meeting all of you.
Mrs. Hundley's contact information:
276 647 3841
Core 1 8:30-9:35
Core 2 9:40 - 10:45
Core 3 10:50-11:55
Core 4 12:00 - 1:00
Exploratory 1 1:40 - 3:15 Monday/Wednesday
Exploratory 2 1:40 - 3:15 Tuesday/Thursday
Grade 8 Syllabus
Writers read and readers write!
Students will continue to develop writing, grammar, reading and vocabulary skills through the study of the various genres of literature (fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama). Students will be required to write and conference on a regular basis participating in the Writer’s Workshop format, thus increasing their knowledge and understanding of the Process of Writing. Students will also be required to read independently, as well as a whole group, and respond to the readings through reflective writing & conferencing, and other forms of assessment.
- Writing - Writer’s Workshop and Grade 8 Writing SOL Preparation
- Reading - Individual “Book of Choice” & Class Texts and Gr. 8 Reading SOL Preparation
- Participation - meaningful engagement in your writing & reading
- Organization - provided in-class Writer’s Notebook & Folder
- Reflection - purposeful personal academic understanding
All students are expected to make good choices & be a learner… ROAR!
- Be polite, thoughtful, kind, & respect the people & environment of room 7 while in class and online!
- Be willing & prepared to own your words, actions & education! Use your time wisely!
- Be ready to work for yourself and with others to do your best with a positive & productive attitude everyday!
- Be HERE! Be in class on time with appropriate materials & supplies, such as a charged iPad & a good book, demonstrating responsible behaviors!
*NOTE: Students are expected to adhere to the HCPS & FCMS discipline policies
- Cell Phones are NOT permitted in class.
Through the study of grade 8 Language Arts (or the ARTs of Language), my goal for you is to become a more critical, connected reader, a confident, effective writer, a better listener, a clear communicator, an organized responsible student (ie… taking appropriate care of your assigned iPad & being prepared with required materials), and a productive member of the class. I am looking forward to working with you this year as you develop these skills by BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR LEARNING… acting like a Writer and a Reader!
In spotlighting the FCMS Literacy Focus , Gr. 8 Language Arts Writer’s Workshop and Gr. 8 Writing SOL Preparation, you will become a better writer as you pay more attention to both the basics and creative side to the Writing Process. My goal for you is to provide a comfortable environment to express yourself while guiding you through the writing process.
Important Dates: The Grade 8 Writing SOL Test-- March 2022
Grade 8 Reading SOL Test-- May 2022
Dates will be announced as they are available.
- Major Assessments (Tests, Projects, Final Writing Pieces, etc.) count twice
- Minor Assessments (Quizzes, Mini-Projects, etc.) count once
- Participation (Class/Group Work, etc.) count once
- Practice (Warm-Ups, Homework, Journaling, Comprehension Monitoring/Conferencing, etc.) count once