Sport, Exercise and Health Science
Teacher: Mrs. Annette Carter
Course Description: This course is designed for students interested in the medical profession, coaching and athletics. The material presented will combine medical principles with the athletic setting. Some of the specific topics will include human anatomy, injury prevention and treatment, environmental considerations, sports nutrition, online courses for certification, biomechanics, first aid, rehabilitation guidelines, and career options. Special topics/current issues in health care will also be discussed. Students will participate in hands on learning activities and be expected to perform practical skills.
Recommended prerequisite(s): 9th Grade Health and Physical Education
Required text: Fundamentals of Athletic Training, 3rd Edition, Lorin A. Cartwright-William A. Pitney
Supplies: 3 ring binder, prong folder and loose leaf paper and pencil
Objective: Presents principles underlying the components of Sport, Exercise and Health Science
- Complete VHSL online modules that are related to subject.
- Have an understanding of the human body and its functions.
- Be able to explain the components of fitness and skills in sports.
- Be able to explain the importance of concussions, environmental consideration and nutrition in the athletics.
- Complete a written test when required. Test may be taken home or given in class.
- Complete all homework and class assignments.
- Class participation and group discussion.
- Group projects will be assigned and presented in class.
- Weekly Physical Education Grades
Class Work 50%
P.E. Grade 50%