6th Grade Math Syllabus
Phone Number: (276) 647-3841
The sixth-grade standards provide a transition from the emphasis placed on whole number arithmetic in the elementary grades to foundations of algebra. The standards include a focus on rational numbers and operations involving rational numbers. Students will use ratios to compare data sets; recognize decimals, fractions, and percents as ratios; solve single-step and multistep problems, using positive rational numbers; and gain a foundation in the understanding of and operations with integers. Students will solve problems involving area and perimeter, and begin to graph in a coordinate plane. In addition, students will build on the concept of graphical representation of data developed in the elementary grades and develop concepts regarding measures of center. Students will solve linear equations and inequalities in one variable, and use algebraic terminology. Students will represent proportional relationships using two variables as a precursor to the development of the concept of linear functions.
*  - 3 ring binder (any size)
* Dry Erase Markers * Paper Towels
* Notebook paper * Tissues
* Pencils & Erasers * Pencils
* Colored Pencils
Grading Scale: Grading Weights:
A+ = 100 - 97 D+ = 69 - 68 Participation/Homework = 10%
A = 96- 93 D = 67 - 66 Classwork = 20%
A- = 92 - 90 D- = 65 - 60 Quizzes = 30%
B+ = 89-87 F = 59 - Below Tests= 40%
B = 86 – 83 Extra Credit – IXL
B- = 82 – 80
C+ = 79 - 77
C = 76 – 73
C- = 72 – 7
* Excused Absences- It is the responsibility of the student to get assignments if absent.
* Late/missing work will be accepted with a 10-point deduction for each day late.
- A point system will be used to determine citizenship grades and participation during incentives. A form will be sent home weekly to be signed by a parent/guardian.
The school wide discipline policy of the CAV CODE will be followed.