Degrees and Certifications:
~Writers Read and Readers Write~
Students will continue to develop writing, grammar, reading and vocabulary skills through the study of the various genres of literature (fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama). Students will be required to write and conference on a regular basis participating in the Writer’s Workshop format, thus increasing their knowledge and understanding of the Process of Writing. Students will also be required to read independently, as well as a whole group, and respond to the readings through reflective writing & conferencing, and other forms of assessment.
- Writing… Writer’s Workshop and Gr. 8 Writing SOL Preparation
- Reading… Individual “Book of Choice” & Class Texts and Gr. 8 Reading SOL Preparation
- Participation… meaningful engagement in your writing & reading
- Organization… provided in-class Writer’s Notebook & Folder
- Reflection… purposeful personal academic understanding
All students are expected to make good choices & be a learner… ROAR!
- Be polite, thoughtful, kind, & respect the people & environment of Rm. 14 while in class and online!
- Be willing & prepared to own your words, actions & education! Use your time wisely!
- Be ready to work for yourself and with others to do your best with a positive & productive attitude… EVERYDAY!
- Be HERE! Be in class on time with appropriate materials & supplies, such as A Charged iPad & A Good Book, demonstrating responsible behaviors!
*NOTE: Students are expected to adhere to the HCPS & FCMS discipline policies
- Cell Phones are NOT permitted in class.
Through the study of Gr. 8 Language Arts (or the ARTs of Language), my goal for you is to become a more critical, connected reader, a confident, effective writer, a better listener, a clear communicator, an organized responsible student (ie… taking appropriate care of your assigned iPad & being prepared with required materials), and a productive member of the class. I am looking forward to working with you this year as you develop these skills by BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR LEARNING… acting like a Writer and a Reader!
In spotlighting the FCMS Literacy Focus , Gr. 8 Language Arts Writer’s Workshop and Gr. 8 Writing SOL Preparation, you will become a better writer as you pay more attention to both the basics and creative side to the Writing Process. My goal for you is to provide a comfortable environment to express yourself while guiding you through the writing process.
Important Dates: The Grade 8 Writing SOL Test-- March 2022
Grade 8 Reading SOL Test-- May 2022
- Major Assessments (Tests, Projects, Final Writing Pieces, etc.) Count twice
- Minor Assessments (Quizzes, Mini-Projects, etc.) Count once
- Participation (Class/Group Work, etc.) Count once
- Practice (Warm-Ups, Homework, Journaling, Comprehension Monitoring/Conferencing, etc.) Count once
* Section in your binder for ELA material
* Loose leaf paper to use when turning in material (Do not yank this out of your composition books)
* IPAD charged daily
* Materials will be supplied throughout the year as needed.
Textbook: Online text
Canvas: use your email address and lunch number to sign in. (Will be updated daily)