7th grade Art Syllabus
Hello and Welcome, in this semester course you will be creating projects based on the elements of art and principals of design. These projects will require you to think outside of the box (as you should it is art class). You will also develop your own creative process by learning about different techniques that actual artists use in order to create works of art (brainstorming, research, etc.)
Areas of Focus:
- Elements of Art and Principles of Design
- Basic Drawing Techniques
- Composition – Placement of objects on a plane to create a well-rounded drawing.
- Lines- The illusions and aesthetics they can create
- Value-How to create the illusion that a two dimensional (flat) drawing can appear three-dimensional.
- Color - Color theory, color schemes, color choice and mood/feeling
- Shapes- Organic and geometric shapes.
- Space- Positive and negative space.
- Texture- Visual vs. tactical.
- Forms- two dimensional and three dimensional
- A pencil.
- A spiral bond sketchbook or notebook (8.5x11)
- Your creative thinking skills.
- Glue stick
- Colored pencils
- Assignments and projects will be graded based on a point system assignments will be worth 100 points and projects will be worth 200 points. (It is very difficult for someone to earn a 200 on a project as all art can be improved.)
- Due dates will be given at the beginning of projects and should be written down. All late work will be marked down, 5 points everyday, if the student has not turned in their work within a week then the assignment will be marked as missing and given a score of 0
- Students who are absent are Responsible for making up any missing work.
Student expectations in the art room:
A-Always Listen R- Raise your hand T- Treat others kindly I- Inside voices S- Safety first T-Try my best
All school rules still apply to the art room refer to the Swords for Success for consequences
Evaluation and Participation:
All project requirement sheets and evaluation rubrics will be handed out prior to any work being done on the project.
Students will have the opportunity to earn 5 daily participation points. These points are earned if students are:
- Prepared for class
- Actively engaged in the art making process
- Participating in class
- Making productive use of class work time
About Ms. Dunn
Ms. Dunn grew up in Louisa County, VA and received her Bachelor’s in Fine Arts and her Masters in Teaching from Christopher Newport University (CNU). Her favorite medium of art is photography.