CS Discoveries Express
Fieldale-Collinsville Middle School
Ms. Elizabeth Barbour
Computer Science Discoveries Express is a 9-week exploratory course designed to teach students the foundational concepts of programming using drag and drop blocks rather than a programming language. Students will create computer programs that will help them learn to collaborate with others, develop problem-solving skills, and persist through difficult tasks. Students will also study programming concepts, computational thinking, and digital citizenship.
- Unit 1: Block Programming, Sequencing, and Algorithms
- Unit 2: Loops, Conditionals, and Functions
- Unit 3: Digital Citizenship
- Use a structured problem-solving process to help address new problems
- View challenges as solvable problems
- Break down larger problems into smaller components
- Expect and value mistakes as a natural and productive part of problem solving
- Continue working towards solutions in spite of setbacks
- Iterate and continue to improve partial solutions
- Incorporate personal interests and ideas into activities and projects
- Experiment with new ideas and consider multiple approaches
- Extend or build upon the ideas and projects of others
- Work with others to develop solutions that incorporate all contributions
- Mediate disagreements and help classmates agree on a common solution
- Actively contribute to the success of group projects
- Folder/Notebook paper
- Earbuds/headphones (optional)
Students will be graded on their level of participation, communication, and completion of assignments. Weekly assignments will be due each Friday. A grade of zero will be assigned to students who haven’t completed assignments or communicated with the teacher. All assignments and related content will be accessed through CANVAS.
A B C D F
100-90 89-80 79-70 69-60 59-0
- Check-in using Zoom weekly and turn in all completed assignments
- Students are encouraged to check-in at least once per week and anytime they need assistance
- Request help if needed/schedule individual help sessions
- Be respectful in all forms of communication, ex. Email/Zoom
Date & Time
7th Grade/1st Exploratory (1st period)
7th Grade/2nd Exploratory (2nd period)
6th Grade/1st Exploratory (3rd period)
6th Grade/2nd Exploratory (4th period)
8th Grade/1st Exploratory (5th period)
8th Grade/2nd Exploratory (6th period)
All Grades/Individual Help Sessions
By appointment only/Friday
- Students not available to meet during their designated time should email me to set up an appointment.
- Individual help sessions will be available during the week and on Friday’s by appointment only. Please email me to set up a time.
- Links for all Zoom meetings will be posted in CANVAS.