7th Grade Syllabus
Fieldale-Collinsville Middle School
Ms. Elizabeth Barbour
Computer Science Discoveries is an 18-week exploratory course that empowers students to create authentic artifacts and engage with computer science as a medium for creativity, communication, problem solving, and fun. Students will learn problem solving techniques, coding, animation, and the design process.
Unit 1: Problem Solving
Students learn the problem-solving process, input-output-store-process model of a computer, and how computers help humans solve problems.
Unit 2: Animations and Games
Unit 3: The Design Process
Students apply the problem-solving process to the problems of others, empathize with the needs of a user and design solutions to address those needs
- Use a structured problem solving process to help address new problems
- View challenges as solvable problems
- Break down larger problems into smaller components
- Incorporate personal interests and ideas into activities and projects
- Experiment with new ideas and consider multiple approaches
- Extend or build upon the ideas and projects of others
- Work with others to develop solutions that incorporate all contributions
- Mediate disagreements and help classmates agree on a common solution
- Actively contribute to the success of group projects
- Folder/Notebook paper
- Earbuds/headphones (optional)
Students will be graded on their level of participation, communication, and completion of assignments. Weekly assignments will be due each Friday. A grade of zero will be assigned to students who haven’t completed assignments or communicated with the teacher. All assignments and related content will be accessed through CANVAS.
A B C D F
100-90 89-80 79-70 69-60 59-0
- Check-in using Zoom weekly and turn in all completed assignments
- Students are encouraged to check-in at least once per week and anytime they need assistance
- Request help if needed/schedule individual help sessions
- Be respectful in all forms of communication, ex. Email/Zoom
Date & Time
7th Grade/1st Exploratory (1st period)
7th Grade/2nd Exploratory (2nd period)
6th Grade/1st Exploratory (3rd period)
6th Grade/2nd Exploratory (4th period)
8th Grade/1st Exploratory (5th period)
8th Grade/2nd Exploratory (6th period)
All Grades/Individual Help Sessions
By appointment only/Friday
- Students not available to meet during their designated time should email me to set up an appointment.
- Individual help sessions will be available during the week and on Friday’s by appointment only. Please email me to set up a time.
- Links for all Zoom meetings will be posted in CANVAS.