At the twelfth grade level, students will build literacy skills to promote effective writing, critical thinking, and analysis of literature from other cultures and perspectives. This course expands on the fundamentals of reading and writing with emphasis on comprehension and mastery of syntax, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and usage in written communication, along with word analysis and systematic vocabulary development.
Mrs. Lovell (King)
How to Reach Me:
Work: (276) 629 - 1731
Cell: (276) 632 - 1257
4th Block Planning
A Positive Attitude
School Issued Technology
We are Safe
- This classroom is a safe space for all students at all times. We will conduct ourselves so that this remains a safe and calm learning environment.
We are Respectful
- All persons will be respectful at all times. Be respectful of all persons, materials, and property in this classroom.
We Follow Directions (the first time)
- All directions, whether for an assignment, safety procedure, or teacher directions, will be followed the first time they are given.
We Work Hard
- Be prepared to learn and work. Give all your effort to your assignments in this class. Ask for help when you need it!
First Offense: Verbal Warning
Second Offense: Parent Contact
Third Offense: Administrative Referral
**Please Note** These consequences may be enacted in any order deemed necessary by the teacher. Any behavior that is detrimental or disruptive to the learning environment or safety of the students or teacher will result in an immediate referral to the principal.
Technology Policy & Canvas:
Canvas will be utilized to present materials and assignments for this class. While in the classroom, there should be no improper use of the technology for any reason. This includes being on any site that is not directly stated as an assignment for this class, playing games, and streaming services. Failure to comply with this policy will result in the loss of technology privileges in the classroom.
Cell Phone Policy:
There is to be no cellphone use in the classroom. Phones will be placed in a designated area upon entering the classroom.
If I see your phone out during class, I will ask for it. If you refuse, it will result in an immediate referral.
Standards of Learning:
- 12.1 The student will make planned persuasive / argumentative, multimodal, interactive presentations collaboratively and individually.
- 12.2 The student will examine how values and points of view are included or excluded.
- 12.3 The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- 12.4 The student will read, comprehend, and analyze the development of British literature and literature of other cultures.
- 12.5 The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- 12.6 The student will write in a variety of forms to include persuasive / argumentative, reflective, interpretive, and analytic with an emphasis on persuasive / argumentative.
- 12.7 The student will self and peer-edit for Standard English writing.
- 12.8 The student will analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and organize information from a variety of credible sources to produce a research product.
Assignments in this course are based on a points system. The number of points is decided based on the type of assignment.
Classwork: 10 - 50 points
Quizzes & Projects: 100 points
Tests & Essays: 200 points
All work is expected to be turned in on time and in the correct designated area.
**Please Note** There will be no extra credit in this course. - Do the work you have been assigned, and make corrections when necessary, and you won’t need “extra” work.
Late Work Policy:
Late assignments will not be accepted unless prior communication with the teacher has been established and an extension has been granted.
- Finding Common Ground
- The Struggle for Freedom
- The Bonds Between Us
- Sweet Sorrow
- A Matter of Life and Death
- Heroes and Quests
- Persuasive Writing
Remember, you need to pass this class to graduate!
- The assignments are graded and will be expected to be completed on time. If you need more time, just ask!
- Complete your own assignments. Do not share work / answers with classmates. Do not google questions and copy the answers. Follow the honor code.
- Stay in your assigned seat and work diligently throughout the class period.
- Don’t be tardy! If you need to use the restroom, I will give you a pass if you come to the room before the tardy bell rings.
- The COVID virus is still a reality, and we want to make sure we all stay safe while we return to school. In order to ensure that we are all doing our part, adhere to the guidelines below:
- Do not share supplies, food, drinks, or any personal materials.
- Wear your face mask properly at all times.
- Follow all safety guidelines issued by the school.
- A+ 100 - 97
- A 96 - 93
- A- 92 - 90
- B+ 89 - 87
- B 86 -83
- B- 82 - 80
- C+ 79 - 77
- C 76 - 73
- C- 72 - 70
- D+ 69 - 68
- D 67 - 66
- D- 65 - 60
- F 59 - 0