Welcome to Guidance!
Ms. Malika Johnson
School counseling programs support the Standards of Learning by providing guidance to students in their academic, career, and social-emotional development. School counselors collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators and others to promote learning and help students establish and achieve their education, career, and personal goals. School counselors provide leadership to ensure that students benefit from effective strategies and services aligned with the Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools. The standards are organized by grade level under the following goals:
- Academic Development – Students will acquire the academic preparation essential to choose from a variety of educational, training, and employment options upon completion of secondary school.
- Career Development – Students will investigate the world of work in order to make informed career decisions.
- Social/Emotional – Students will acquire an understanding of, and respect for, self and others, and the skills to be responsible citizens.
School counselors are trained to provide counseling services through eight different types of delivery methods:
- Counseling Curriculum
- Small Group Counseling
- Individual Counseling
- Crisis Response
- Individual Student Planning
* This information may also be accessed at:
* Link for Standards for School Counseling Programs in VA Public Schools: